Wednesday, March 2, 2011

American - The Rich vs. The Poor

The picture below makes me emotional. Not in a 'Oh! Boo hoo hoo! That poor boy!' way. In a 'Wow. If astronauts can walk on the moon, if scientists can clone animals, if doctors can bring people back from the dead, Why can't America give this boy food, water, and wash cloth?' kind of way. I guess emotional can describe the feeling, appalled is another, and most fitting: humiliated. Humiliated in the fact that TV networks can spend MILLIONS of dollars on reality television, but can't lend people in Africa or Haiti, a bottled water and half a cracker. What about government? I don't see any Senators out there with a baby wipe.
This one photo makes me rethink America and all the glamour of being a citizen. But hey, I'm not out in any 3rd world country wiping feces off of children's bare feet either.
I guess my anger really goes nowhere. Except this blog.



3 comments:

  1. Well, look at the lottery. They're doing the EuroMillions over here - a prizefund of E51 MILLION. Ridiculous. I think they need to take it back to winning just a million and the rest the winner can give to a charity of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Indigobluefish, good example! If they were to take one million and give all the rest to say, Haiti?, think of all the money that would go to poverty stricken children (like the one pictured above). I bet I could buy a gallon of water for less than 1 US Dollar, so why can't the government, media, or any millionaire for that matter, do more?
    Thanks for commenting (Hannah & Indigo) :)

    ReplyDelete